Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Response to "Bomb It"


Most of my life, I lived in suburban areas.  When I moved to Okinawa, Japan, it was like a whole different world.  All over the walls of various buildings, you would see this abstract-type of art.  With pictures and lettering, there were different colors.  During my English 111 class, we watched "Bomb It."  In this movie, we saw both sides of why people do graffiti and the people who are opposed to it.  The movie opened my eyes to different types of graffiti.  I usually do not like documentaries; however, this film and "Supersize Me" were entertaining films.  It dug into other countries' graffiti showing how this art is shared all around the world.
I watched this movie in my English class to show us how to do an argument paper.  The movie was to show us how to see both sides of a controversy on graffiti.  "Bomb It" allowed me to see that graffiti can be seen as a beautiful art form.  Although I Know that drawing on someone's private property is illegal, I do not see anything wrong with having a person's artwork expressed on public grounds.  Some people make the argument that graffiti is an eye sore; however, as the documentary stated, tall buildings can be an eye sore to some.  It is just a matter of a person's opinion.
In my opinion, I think that graffiti is okay in its own way.  To do it on private property and for gang initiations would be wrong.  All and all this movie let me see that even the simplest thing as writing on a wall can have both sides to it.  I thought that the different graffiti from around the world were really amazing.  After watching the movie, I looked up the movie.  There is further artwork that artists in the film made. Great movie to watch =]

Related Links
Official Website:  BOMB IT!

No comments: